Monday, April 24, 2006

Victory Over the Darkness

On Sunday, I went with Elena to Lamma Church, her home church in Lamma Island (Hong Kong). Elena grew up on Lamma Island (check out its website here) and it was on the island that I met her, while I was living there in the 1980s (the first time I saw her, she was playing the piano in the church service - a vision of beauty and talented too!). It was wonderful to see so many of my old friends at Lamma Church again, many of whom have been lifting me up in prayer consistently for the last few months.

I had an opportunity to share my testimony for five minutes. And so I shared briefly from John 1:5 (the preacher had mentioned that verse in his sermon earlier in the service). And so I want to share it also briefly with you too.

In the Amplified Bible, John 1:5 says:
"And the Light shines on in the darkness, for the darkness has never overpowered it..."
I was struck by the simple declaration that this verse makes. Jesus, who is described as being "the Light" (see John 1:4-9), entered the world to confront the powers of darkness (note 1 John 3:8; Acts 26:18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 1:13). And what struck me so powerfully about John 1:5 is this: Light, by its very nature, overcomes the darkness!

That may seem like a simple revelation, but it is both profound and attitude-transforming. We have this tendency to think of spiritual darkness as having an innate power to overcome spiritual light, but if the analogy with natural light and darkness holds true (which I believe it does), this is simply not the case. Darkness is the absence of light, nothing more, nothing less. In other words, to overcome darkness, you need to do nothing more than just introduce light!

Think of it this way. If you are in a lighted room in the middle of the night, and you open the curtains, darkness doesn't come flooding in. Rather, light floods into the outside world! Likewise, if you are in a dark room, the moment you flip on the light switch, the light immediately banishes the darkness. In fact, it doesn't even take a lot of light to do it. Have you ever been in a dark room and simply switched on the light of your cell phone's screen? That screen light is incredibly low power, yet it is enough to bring light into a dark room.

What encouraged me about this is that this describes the Christian experience. We have received spiritual light in the person of Jesus. And by its nature, that spiritual light overcomes the darkness. It is a very binary thing: Light off = darkness. Light on = darkness overcome.

For me, I'm not waiting for the victory. I already have the victory in the person of Jesus. It is a given. Victory is not a goal for me; my starting point in life is victory! All I am now called to do is walk in that victory, as 1 John 1:5-7 explains it:
"This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin."
So what is my objective today? Simply to "walk in the light, as he is in the light". It's in the walk, not the talk, that we experience the victory.

6 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ps David,
We thank God for bringing you back safely. You are truly a man of faith. I was looking forward to your post, so thanks for sharing your experience. I need to learn how to walk in the light.
Blessings,
EY

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Bec Laklem said...

Hi David,
Good to see you home! It's good to see you up on your blog again. Have missed you heaps. Another great post!

Love as always,

Your sis,

Bec.

 
At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love the way the Lord affirms His Word... He always leads us in our journey of life from our POSITION IN HIM. To experience this truth takes the striving of our self-effort out of our walk. Once again you so vividly expressed the essence of the Gospel in your blog of walking in His Light. WOW! God is so good. Blessings on you and your family and the great family of OBC. Gloria Pahl

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger I Am Christian. said...

Such a simple truth: All we need do is walk where the light IS, and then we, in turn, radiate that light.

I once attended a mission commissioning ceremony with hundreds of people under a big top tent in a swampy part of Florida. They turned off every light and, for several minutes, we sat in complete darkness with nothing but the frogs croaking. Then, they lit one candle. Amazing how much light that one candle offered! And as that candle lit others, we saw a beautiful image of God's light being passed along from one source to hundreds of others.

Thanks for your blog, David. And thanks for the light you yourself shed into our lives!

Terri

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear David,
We are so glad God has blessed us with bringing you back on deck for His service, because after all that is what all of us are to do.

Thank you for you encourageing words and you are so right it`s not the talk but the walk. Jesus was and is our perfect example.

May God continue to bless you and your family. In His precious name,

Love Brad and Carol

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now this is exactly why I love reading your blogs (and hearing your teachings last year on Wednesdays in the city) - the message is simple and straight forward. Yet I have to read it twice, because for all it's simplicity, there is a huge truth and impact.

I am forever amazed (and thankful) at the insight that God has blessed you with.

Nico, Melbourne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home