Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Divine Anaesthetic

It's been over a week since my last post and I know many of you have been wondering what's happened. I sure appreciate your prayers, and so I want to give you a brief update on life for me over the last few days.

This last couple of weeks have been a rather difficult one for me, in part because there have been a number of days where I have felt seriously ill (primarily side effects of chemotherapy), but mainly in terms of handling chronic fatigue. There are some days when almost all I do is sleep the entire day. I'll wake up for a few minutes to eat, and then go straight back to sleep. On other days, it isn't so drastic, but fatigue is still a major factor to contend with. For this reason, although I've sat down several times to write on the blog, I've not been able to complete anything substantial -- sometimes I'll write just a paragraph and then feel ready for another sleep! In fact, at the moment I have a very narrow window each day where I have energy to write. Hopefully, this is just a temporary situation.

Having said that, my faith remains high. My family and I continue to look to the Lord as both Healer and the One who provides "sufficient grace" for the situation (2 Corinthians 12:9). These are just part of the challenges we must face in this trial of faith. And sleep is actually an answer to prayer for me. A couple of weeks ago, my sleep was erratic and often disrupted, particular at night. There was a time when I was crying out to the Lord for help to sleep. Now I'm sleeping all the way through the night (and often beyond too!).

Psalm 127:2 declares that the Lord "grants sleep to those he loves." And Psalm 4:8 says:
"I will lie down and sleep in peace for you, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."
There is also a real sense that sleep is the Lord's anaesthetic. God put Adam to sleep when he operated on him (see Genesis 2:21), and he did the same for Abraham, when he confirmed his covenant with him (see Genesis 15:12). When I helped in the rehabilitation of drug addicts, back in the 1980s, we often witnessed the Lord putting them effectively to sleep for up to three days -- the administration of divine anaesthetic as they slept through the effects of withdrawal.

So I'm putting a positive spin on this need for sleep. Each time I go to sleep, I'm asking the Lord to perform his surgery. But I'm also looking forward to the time when I will have more energy and be able to press more into the areas of ministry that I love most - meeting up with those who need pastoral care and communicating the wonder of the Gospel, both through the spoken and the written word.

9 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear David,

We understand the fatigue, my father went through the symptoms you are going through. You are in our prayers and we hope you start feeling better.

God bless, Love Brad and Carol

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Otilia said...

yes sir, sleep is a wondrous thing, particularly when you have gone through a period with out it. I am just back from my fourth chemo today, up long enough to check in on you, drink more fluids, and then back to bed. Where we pray for sleep, interrupted by fluids when needed.Thanks for the prayer tip. God Bless.

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is wonderful how the Lord continues showing the ways for you David, and now, amazinly, is your time for "sleep"! We'll continue praying for both, the promise of healing and the strengh to pass for this process.
The Lord Bless you,
Caren

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To David and your precious family:
I was reviewing some of my past lessons and the encouraging comments you and your precious parents and other staff members would write on my tests... you have always been such an encourager... spurring us on to excell in our relationship with the Lord over academic accomplishments. This has been such an example to me ... to spurr on people to come into a relationship with HIM and then walk it out in life. Thank you again for being there for us in the body of Christ. You indeed are blessed.
Always holding you all up in prayer. The Lord is gracious!

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear David, it is so good to hear that God gave you His Divine Anaesthetic, so that you could sleep when He is doing His Surgery. Just like to share with you a passage about sleep that I read last week during my devotion: Pr 3:21 My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; Pr 3:22 they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Pr 3:23 Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; Pr 3:24 when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Pr 3:25 Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, Pr 3:26 for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared. PT

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wonderful friend - reading your inspiring testimony makes my troubles seem so completely insignificant. Thank you again - you constantly amaze me - even in the midst of extreme fatigue, you encourage us, to dig deeper into God, to raise our expectations and to believe that He is able to do far more than we ever hope or ask for. Know that we are here, lifting your arms up and will continue until the battle is won completely.
Love Leeanne

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is good to know that God is performing his healing on you.

You are God's faithful servant, God will not let you face it alone.

I have you and your family in my prayers every morning.

May God continue to perform miracles on you.

Su Wei Thang

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David
I strongly believe that God still has much for you to do. You have a great gift of teaching that has yet to be fully explored.
I have great faith that you have much more running to do before your race is over.
You are a mighty warrior, and this is just another battle, but the victory is yours.
God continue to bless you and yours.
Mark Greenaway via Ted

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger The Blakes said...

Dear David,

Bec told me about your site and I have enjoyed it so much! Thank you for being so faithful in your writting - it is such a blessing! I'm glad to hear that your feeling better and getting sleep. I am praying for your miraculous healing in Jesus' name!!!!

Stephanie Blake
Hat Yai, Thailand
www.theblakesthailand.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home