Saturday, June 10, 2006

Writing Projects

Over the last few weeks, I've starting to focus once again on writing - not just the blog but also other writing projects. Writing is an important outlet for me, particularly at the moment, when my stamina is not yet adequate to take on too much in the way of pastoral duties. I've been preaching once or twice a week (although I've spoken with the leadership of ECC, and we've agreed that it would be better for me to cut that back to a maximum of once a week, since I'm often seriously drained, and sometimes quite ill, after each Sunday). I also try to meet up with several people during the week, keeping up my discipling/counselling/pastoral role.

But writing is also important because I'm investing in the future. Through writing, I can extend the horizon of my ministry, in both space and time. I also get great joy from seeing words form on the page, knowing that these words will encourage and strengthen others.

Apart from writing on the blog, I'm currently working on three main writing projects:

  1. A book called Old Me, New Me - This book is a popularised version of the teaching manual, Back to the Gospel, that I co-authored with my parents, Paul and Bunty Collins. I cannot over-emphasise the value I place on this up-and-coming book. It contains what I consider to be the most important, practical truths for effective Christian living. My goal is to have this book finished by the end of this year.


  2. A book called The New 95 Theses: A Call to Radical Reformation - In 1517, Martin Luther marched up to the Castle Church in Wittenburg and nailed his 95 Theses to the door. This act launched what would later be called "The Reformation", which aimed at a major "reforming" of the Church. Luther's 95 Theses pinpointed areas of excess and error within the Church of his day. In my book, The New 95 Theses, I aim to elucidate 95 essential truths that are needed to be re-established, in order to see a furtherance of what has been called "The Second Reformation" in the Church today.


  3. A movie script called Soldiers Mustn't Cry - My grandfather, Alexander Henderson, wrote a novelisation of his personal story during World War II. His daughter, Gillian, was hit by a bus and killed, while he was at war in Italy in 1944. Knowing that compassionate leave would take a while to get processed, he went AWOL and hitchhiked across Europe in order to get to England to be with his family. The story of his adventures is quite amazing - a real "thriller" - and I'm writing it as a screenplay, which I hope to get made into a movie.

I'm also working on various writing projects for the Online Bible College (together with another writer, I hope to complete the Discovering Jesus Course, which is currently half-finished). I also continue writing on this blog (I've almost completed a 5-part series on "The Da Vinci Code Challenge", which I will post soon).

There is power in the printed page. Paul wrote his epistles, which shaped the early Church, and today I want to play a part, even a minor one, in doing the same. My desire is for Acts 12:24 (NKJV) to be fulfilled in our generation:
"But the word of God grew and multiplied"
May the communication of God's Word "grow and multiply" in and through our lives, in order that we may impact this generation for God!

1 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am especially looking forward to the movie - your mum has told me the story and I was amazed then as now, how one man would give so much to show his family his love. He knew they needed him and made sure he go there to show them practically.

Also the new 95 Theses - we need reformation - I can see the church moving and growing but it all takes so long - perhaps having these 95 truths pointed out again to us will speed the process of the saints world wide to become the bride of Christ - without spot or wrinkle so He can come and take us to be where he is.

Leeanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home