Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Oncologist's Report

Yesterday was an exhausting day, in both the positive and negative senses of the word. Before I share the "hard news", I want to first share what the day meant to me as a whole.

I started off the day, as usual, with the Lord, and he encouraged me (as you can read from yesterday's post - see "God is My Salvation"). In fact I encourage you to re-read that post right now, before reading this one, because the sobering report of this post must be placed in the context within which I experienced it.

After a wonderful time with the Lord, where He established hope again for the day, a group of Christians from Evangelical Community Church (ECC) visited me. We had a fantastic time of worship (focusing on the Lord's goodness and greatness through song) and then a time of prayer. They were full of faith as they asked God to intervene miraculously on my behalf.

Not long after this, I went to Box Hill Hospital to see the oncologist for the first time - but more on this in a moment.

After my visit to the oncologist, I went to Upton House, which is the psychiatric wing of Box Hill Hospital, to visit an inpatient with schizophrenia. Although I only had a short time with him, I was able to pray for him and encourage him.

From there, feeling pretty exhausted, I went home to prepare for my son's Year Six Graduation Formal that evening. And what a joy it was to see Jordan all dressed up in his tuxedo, with butterfly collar and bow-tie. It was a delightful evening, listening to Jordan and his classmates sing and watching them dance. All the mothers danced with their sons, and the fathers with their daughters, and it was a joy to see Elena dancing with Jordan. I have videos and photos of the event, which I'll post later.

After the formal, Raymond and Phyllis Chan came to my home. They are members of ECC, and also my "personal pharmacists" (that sounds good, doesn't it?). Raymond is a pharmacist, and Phyllis did her doctoral thesis in the "Aftercare of Oncology Patients." They supplied my medication prescriptions and explained how to deal with the pain, and also the constipation (which is one of the side-effects of being on morphine-derivatives).

After a literally exhausting day, Elena and I prayed and I had a relatively good night sleep (about six hours, waking up intermittently, which isn't bad for me at the moment - I also take two naps during the day, if I can, as part of my regular routine).

OK, now to the "hard news". Jessica accompanied me to the oncologist, and I was able to ask the difficult questions, get a clear picture of what I should expect in the coming weeks and months, and to set the agenda for things such as chemotherapy.

My oncologist was able to confirm the following:

1. I have fourth-stage stomach cancer, with extensive peritoneal seeding (which means that nodules of cancer have spread throughout the abdominal cavity).

2. There is no possible cure, either by surgical intervention or through medicinal means. Chemotherapy can only delay the progress of the cancer.

3. The mean survival rate for this stage of cancer is 7-9 months. Having said that, even without the Lord, there are many who beat those odds, and of course with the Lord and with your prayers, I plan to do more than just beat the odds.

I should be starting chemotherapy in the first week of January, and there is a possibly that I could participate in a trial therapy, so I'll need to pray about that. I will also be having another CT scan on Thursday, 29 December, which will seek to determine whether the cancer has "seeded" in any other areas of the body, such as the lungs, the liver and lymph nodes.

The short of it all is, basically, that the oncologist has confirmed much of what we already knew: Without the Lord, there's no chance of cure, but with the Lord, all things are possible! And remember, so-called "life expectancy" rates are statistical only. In other words, the experience of the majority of people with this same condition is a low-survival rate and short-term prospects. But a prognosis is not a prophecy. Doctors cannot see the future, nor can they take into account supernatural elements such as the divine intervention.

Also bear in mind, as you continue to journey with me over the next few weeks, months (and years), that I view a life-expectancy prognosis simply as the yardstick against which the miraculous healing of God is measured.

Now the reason I asked you to re-read "God is My Salvation" before reading this post is simple. Without placing this news in the context of what the Lord is doing in my life, the news is, to put it bluntly, devastating. Without the word of God, the word of the doctor offers no true sense of hope. After all, they are even now organising palliative care for me, and they're preparing me for months, not years, of life ahead, with the control of pain and nursing of my condition the only real hope that the medical community can offer me.

But my medical condition (the physical illness) is only one dimension of my life. There is an overriding dimension - the spiritual dimension - which is my daily walk with the Lord. The physical dimension is based on words from my oncologist (the natural physician). The spiritual dimension is based on words from God himself (the Great Physician). As Matthew 4:4 puts it:
"...It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
This means that my life is not just fed on a physical level but on a spiritual level, and it is on both levels that I am now facing this crisis.

I stand firm on the word the Lord gave me in Philippians 1:19-26:
"Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me."
This, together with other words that the Lord is speaking into my life (and which I will share with you later) is the foundation of my attitude, my behavior and, of course, my hope. Thus it is not just the Oncologist's Report to which I am responding, but also the Creator's Report, which is far more important.

6 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you very much! When I received word concerning your health, I immediately heard you teaching in my heart on the importance of faith from Cross Roads, Volume 3, Issue 1, May 2002. You wrote: "...my faith is not based on what I think God is saying to me. It is not based on a mere hope that God will answer me. It is based upon covenantal promises, and these promises are firm enough for me to build my life upon them." You've built your life upon them and have encouraged all to do likewise. So my brother, it looks as though we have moved on to the second kind of faith, enduring faith. Standing with you now and always. Cal

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've taught me much about faith and faithfulness over the last few years, my brother. Not only have you taught it, but you've lived and modeled it in the most trying of times. You continue to be a blessing! Standing in faith and prayer with you during this journey. Patti

 
At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

Many in ECCI are touched by what you share at last week Sunday services, your faith in God, your love for the ministries and your daily personal thoughts as written in your Blog. The whole church is praying for you and we know that God called you to ECCI for a purpose. You have just started your ministries and we are confident that God will enable you to see it though until its completion.

God loves you and cares for you. Our God can heal all physical illness and no sickness is too great for him to handle. And we know that in Christ, there is hope, peace of heart and eternal life with God.

The ECCI pastoral and leadership team is behind you and your family in your time of needs.

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife has just had the all clear from a level 4 malignent Melanoma and during the times of waiting and biopsy results we had a calmness that allowed us to sleep peacfully each night. We are praying for you David as we believe that God has peace which passes all understanding and His healing is not optional but given unto those who ask in Jesus name. "Jesus we ask your healing touch on David and your peace and tranquility to decend on him and all his family during this time. We are watching with excitement and joy as you restore Davids health." In Jesus name
AMEN

Trevor & Dianne, Sheree and Michelle Garratt. Newcastle

 
At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,
You are such a source of encouragement to all of us because you have allowed the Great Comforter to strengthen you and especially during this trial.
Thank you for sharing your journey in faith.
I am praying for you.
Gloria Pahl

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your life is a living testimony You have streghten my faith.God will show His power,love and His glory.
HE WILL SURELY DO IT FOR HIS GLORY
OUR GOD IS MORE THAN ABLE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home