Friday, December 16, 2005

Test Results

I underwent the laparoscopy and second gastroscopy this morning, and the results have confirmed that the cancer has indeed spread outside the stomach.

This means that a gastrectomy (surgical removal of the stomach) has no value, and the next step is chemotherapy. The doctor, however, was very clear that chemotherapy will not cure me. In fact, at this stage of cancer, there is no cure possible - only a "delay of the inevitable."

Since the cancer is incurable, but not as aggressive as other cancers, such as breast cancer or liver cancer, the chemotherapy is relatively light - so I shouldn't lose any more hair than I'm already losing now anyway!

The prognosis, of course, is not good. But the key thing at a time like this is to:

  1. Be aware of the seriousness of the situation (i.e. not to be in denial)
  2. Make a decision as to whether you "fight" or not.

Any prognosis regarding life expectancy rates is really statistical in nature, and there are plenty of anecdotal cases of those who defy all the odds. Well, I've decided not only to defy all the odds but to push the envelope altogether and believe the Lord for total healing.

The prognosis, however, does underline a very significant fact - only God can now heal me. While there are many things I can do to lengthen my life, only God can eliminate the cancer itself. To tell you the truth, that actually excites me - for although I appreciate what doctors can do, now my healing will be shown to be miraculous, and the glory will go totally to the Lord.

I was given pain medication today, and already this has made a big difference in terms of pain reduction (I've been suffering severe pain now for a few weeks).

The family are taking it well. I've shared in detail with the children, emphasizing both the seriousness of the condition and also our faith in God's ability to intervene. The kids found it particularly hard today, because I was vomiting due to reaction to the anaesthesics (I think). But that passed and I was able to use the time to really minister to them. This is obviously a great challenge for them, but they are coping well.

The key word, I guess, is faith. Not just faith for healing, but faith in the Lord Himself. He is the Healer, and therefore can heal. But He is also much more than this. He is my God, my Friend, my Father, my Shepherd and my Hope.

Carlos gave me a verse today from Hebrews 11:35-36:

"So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised."
This kind of persevering faith is what counts right now. And with the Lord's strength, my life will now exemplify this kind of enduring faith.

Well, now begins the journey in earnest. I'm actually looking forward to witnessing God's grace in my life, and my prayer is that my life - regardless of the outcome - will result in many more people discovering that grace for themselves personally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home