Tuesday, December 27, 2005

My Mother's Journey - Part 2

Before you read the next installment of My Mother's Journey, please read the first installment...
My Mother's Journey - Part 1
On December 16th, I woke early in the morning and began to pace the floor, praying with all that was within me for David, asking the Lord for His confirmation of the word He had given from Hezekiah. As I prayed, another thought came strongly to my heart - "Cancer is not God!" The word "cancer" puts such fear into people's hearts and, as in David's case, is often declared to be all-powerful, with nothing able to combat it.

"But cancer is not God!" I thought. "God is God and He is all-powerful! He is far greater than cancer. He is the great Creator. He is seated on the Throne with total power and authority. He is the Almighty! He is the God of all hope (Romans 15:13)." I began to declare this as I prayed and my spirit began to rise.

"I stand on Who You are, Lord," I declared. My whole perspective in prayer now came from this vantage point.

As the day proceeded, David constantly in my prayers, there were times when emotion would overtake me. It would whell up within me suddenly and unexpectedly and the tears would begin to flow. But then I would immediately lift my heart to the Lord and begin to declare the wonder of Who He is...that He is the Almighty, all-powerful God and, again, my spirit would rise.

The next day, again waking early, I continued to pray from this vantage point. Then, again, as I prayed I was reminded of Hezekiah, I remembered what had happened to him earlier in the account. How the Assyrian army had surrounded and laid seige to the city of Jerusalem. All the surrounding nations had fallen to the rising empire and Sennacharib, the king, sent this message to Hezekiah in 2 Kings 19:10-13:
"Say to Hezekiah king of Judah: Do not let the god you depend on deceive you when he says, 'Jesusalem will not be handed over the the king of Assyria.' Surely you have heard what the kings of Assyria have done to all the countries, destroying them completely. And will you be delivered? Did the gods of the nations that were destroyed by my forefathers deliver them....? Where is the king of Hamath, the king of Arpad, the king of the city of Sepharvaim, or of Hena or Ivvah?"
I saw this as a picture in relation to David. I saw the cancer "laying siege" to David like the enemies had surrounded Jerusalem. I saw its proud declaration of all-power like that of Sennacharib. Then I read again Hezekiah's response in 2 Kings 19:14-19:
"Hezekiah received the letter from the messengers and read it. Then he went up to the temple of the Lord and spread it out before the Lord. And Hezekiah prayed to the Lord: 'O Lord, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth. Give ear, O Lord, and hear; open your eyes, O Lord, and see; listen to the words Sennacherib has sent to insult the living God. It is true, O Lord, that the Assyrian kings have laid waste these nations and their lands. They have thrown their gods into the fire and destroyed them, for they were not gods but only wood and stone, fashioned by men's hands. Now, O Lord our God deliver us from his hand, so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O Lord are God."
I saw, in relation to David, this was how the Holy Spirit was inspiring me to pray. Like those Assyrians, cancer is not all-powerful - God is! My spirit rose again and I began again to declare in David's situation the greatness of the Lord. Again I prayed...
"I stand on Who You are, Lord!"
Through the prophet, Isaiah, the Lord gave a promise of deliverance from the enemy that was surrounding them (2 Kings 19:20-34) and that night, while Hezekiah and the people of Jerusalem slept, the Lord miraculously delivered them from the Assyrian army. He sent an angel to destroy them (2 Kings 19:35-36).

My heart rose in faith. The Almighty God is on David's side in this battle against the evil enemy, cancer.
Click here for the next installment: My Mother's Journey - Part 3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home